Thursday, June 09, 2011

ImagineFX #70 & Nevada Museum of Art

I recently worked for the Nevada Museum of Art on their upcoming exhibition on mummies. They wanted a sketch of a futuristic egypt to accompany the exhibition. I did sketches on paper, scanned them in, blew them to about 30 feet and detailed them as much as I could. The final size for the wall was 14ft (high) x 87 feet (wide). Definitely a daunting number and it took about a week to draw it with chalk onto the wall in the museum with my assistant Annie. Exhibition opens from June 11-September 14. Link is here: http://www.nevadaart.org/ . So if you're ever in Reno in that time: definitely go check it out.
These are just WIP (work in progress) shots. I will post better pictures of the whole mural that the Museum should be taking soon. These will suffice for now.

People to thank and without whom this would have been an utter disaster:
-Nik Haafermaas for some great art direction
-Annie Hooker( http://anniehooker.com/)  for being an awesome helper in applying it and a great artist.
-Celeste Byers for some great advice
-And the museum staff, especially Eric for setting up all the projections.


Some new photos by Nik Haafermaas:







The museum took some photographs of the exhibition with finalized lighting and mummies on the sketch. It's still not a photograph of the whole sketch I did- only 1/3 or so. Hoping that somehow the whole thing can be photographed. Here they are:



















In other news, I have been working on the Tron tv series to be released in a year or so. Doing Vehicles/environments under the genius art direction of Alberto Mielgo. Definitely a great learning experience.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sakyg8srKU

It's been a while since an update. I have been doing personal stuff, but all of it is geared towards an upcoming book that Scott Robertson, Danny Gardner and I are pushing to get done.
So, first thing is an imaginefx walkthrough/tutorial illustration I squeezed in during school/work last term. Pretty last minute- about a day or so. So I didn't have much time to spend on it. You can check out the whole walkthrough in their latest issue #70.